Monday, July 28, 2008

Audio System 101



One of the first things I did after getting the car was rip out the crappy OEM head unit and door speakers to all be replaced by custom gear. My system is composed of a 4 gauge amp install kit, a JL Audio 2-channel amp, JBL Grand Touring 2-channel amp, two 10" JBL subs in a sealed box, Focal 165CA speakers, Dynamte on the trunk lid and front doors, a Zune, and to control it all a Pioneer head unit.

Notice the 4 gauge wire being fed into a distribution unit where each amp gets power from its own 8 gauge wire. Sweet!

Overall the audio system is solid but I will be upgrading the JL Audio amp with a higher output 4 channel amp, this will drive my current Focal components along with some additional rear door speakers.

My subs installed in the trunk. Yup, that is literally a bungie coord that I strapped around the box to keep it in place. If I used any of the cars power that speaker box would end up all directions in the trunk. Notice the two amps mounted in the back behind the speaker cabinet.


My dynamte'd rear trunk. Notice all the holes I created when I removed the rear wing.


Most people are probably wondering that the hell they are looking at here but this is how easy Subaru made it to run wires through your firewall, directly behind the pedals is a pre-drilled hole to run all your cables, this is where that 4-guage puppy lives. Also shown is the connection to the battery, I’ve got it nicely wrapped w/ the fuse close to the battery (in case you were like me when I was younger and thought fuses were worthless, lol)



Finally, I end this will a nasty (and I mean nasty) picture of the head unit. I want to replace this will a double DIN unit which will replace the pocket nicely. Also shown is my custom blue and black metallic custom interior.


No comments: