Saturday, February 21, 2009

(Intake) Silencer Delete

After looking at a graphical representation of my entire intake/exhaust system I discovered this silencer that sits between the intake and turbo. After searching into what this is for it became clear that it had to go. Since I am no longer running the stock intake I really had no need for this silencer. Removing the silencer allows the turbo to spool up slightly faster as well as making the turbo itself more audible (all though in my case my SPT intake kills any noise the turbo might generate). The removal is a very easy process and took me less then 30 minutes.



First remove the front passenger side wheel.



Next, locate all the clips that hold the fender lining in place.I was able to remove six clips to get the lining to pull back enough to get at the silencer.


Here is the liner pulled back. The white plastic thing is the bottom part of the silencer.


Remove the top nut from the engine bay. I am pointing to it in the below picture.

Next, get under the car directly under the silencer and look up, you will see another bolt, Remove the nut. Now the silencer is free. You will need to move it around to get it out.
...And finally the silencer after it's been removed.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Cool mod - i still need to do something similar by cuttin a hole in my bottom engine cover. More Cold Air is always good!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mate

I recently bought a V7 sti, when I boost it, i get this khrrrrr or phrrrr sound from some. I showed it one guy, he said it sound like it has an exhaust leak from some where.

I need your help, how do i find out where the leak could be from?

Thank you
Zain
zainsra@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

My son recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work! Exhaust Silencers