Monday, February 2, 2009

Rear Agency Power end-links and sway bar install

This install was a win-win for me. Not only is the rear end rock solid with the new Agency Power end-links and a 22MM Sway bar to connect everything up, this also fixed my suspension geometry problem. The problem was that the passenger side of the car was sitting about 1"-1.5" higher then the driver side. This was entirely due to a bent (and I mean bent) passenger side rear end-link. It was bent so far that both rear end-links and eventually the OEM sway bar itself were digging into the control arms. This install proved to be difficult at first however I was determined to get the install done and I managed to figure out how to work around all the problems I came across. I tried doing the install on jacks with the wheels on, this failed. I tried the install with the car on ramps, this failed. Finally, I put the car on jacks and removed the wheels, this worked! I have no idea about all these how-to's out there talking about the car must be on the ground or the sway bar must be under tension. This is a bunch of BS!

The install began with first removing the OEM sway bar, bushings, and all mounting hardware. On my '07 STi this is very easy to do on the driver side however the passenger side is a different story.

Here is the driver side OEM end-links, sway bar, bushings, and mounting brackets. The picture on the left is the end-link with the sway bar attached to the end of it (the other end of the end-link is attached to the control arm). Notice how the control arm is damaged, this was caused by the end-link and sway bar digging into the control arm while cornering.


Here is the OEM hardware from the passenger side. Notice how bent the end-link is. The bottom picture is the bushing with mounting bracket. Notice all the cables that surround the mounting bracket, this made it a major pain to pull that puppy out. You can clearly see where the sway bar itself has dug into the control arm.


Pictured here on the top is me holding the sway bar on the passenger side. I've got it removed from the end-link and as of now the sway bar is connected to nothing, it's hanging freely. The bottom picture is the driver side. The sway bar is free from the end-link and the bushing is hanging free.

Here is the the entire OEM sway bar 'kit' removed from the car. The sway bar, bushings, end-links, mounting brackets, and all bolts, nuts and washers are shown.

Of course I had to show the new kit with the OEM kit. Notice how the Agency Power items are by far 'beffier' then the OEM counter parts. The OEM sway bar is 19MM while the Agency Power is 22MM.

Here are the OEM and Agency Power end-links. Notice how bent one of the OEM end-links is! The other one is slightly bent. I still am not sure as to the exact cause of why these bent but I have a strong feeling it was due to my Cobb springs. The new Agency Power end-links are ball bearing and way stronger then the OEM ones.

Here I've got the mounting brackets and the sway bar hanging in place. The top picture is the driver side. The bottom picture is the passenger side. Getting the passenger side mounting bracket on was a major pain in the ass. The bolt is shared amongst two other items on top of piping and wiring running right on top of the bolt head.

Sway bar has now been introduced to the bushings which are used to attach the bar to the mounting brackets. Top is driver side, bottom is passenger side.


... And finally we attach the sway bar to the control arms via the end-links.

Some random pictures with the completed install...



Now that the rear is done I still have to tackle the front sway bar and end-links. I did the rear on a Saturday with intention of installing the front on Sunday but I had a nasty hang over, plus it was the Superbowl! The front will have to wait for another weekend.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Nice write up! Too bad you can't see any of these parts when you're on the road because they deserve to be seen!

Statik Images said...

Hi, thanks for the right up ! I'll be putting the same setup on mine next weekend.
Do you know what difference it will make when having the sway bar in the different adjustment hole ?

It's been a few month that you have that setup, hope your still enjoying it !

Cheers

Neiliux said...

The holes in the sway bar itself adjust the stiffness of the sway bar. In the pictures I have it set to the most stiff. The other hole will loosen it up a bit. You will have to try both to see what you prefer.